We’re not talking Jerry Seinfeld and his hideous matching denim jacket bootleg jeans combo, or attending a boot scootin’ party at a Texan ranch. The title is how to WORK double denim, not mangle it, so there is no excuse for leaving the house dressed like this:
Moving on. Denim, first popularised by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1873, is a key staple in every girl’s wardrobe─ from morning into night, denim can be bought in a variety of colours, styles and items; and mixed into a variety of looks, from chic to casual to downright glam. The Fashion Section gives you its key pointers for working double denim in the New Year:
- Try to mix your washes. Think a dark blue denim shirt with skinny black jeans, or blend the jeans with a white denim jacket.
- Don’t be afraid of colour. Denim needn’t mean basic blue. This Summer brings a variety of hues into your wardrobe─ think neon or fluro jeans or shorts partnered with a well-fitted denim jacket. Bellow, Jessica Alba works the citrus AG jeans with a cropped denim jacket for a fresh Summery look.
- However, once into Fall/Winter, think warmer denim tones that will be popular again in 2013, such as browns, camel, mustard and maroon.
- Denim looks best when it is well fitted, so make sure to get your jeans tailored or roll up your sleeves to have a look that doesn’t drown you in a sea of cotton twille textile like a washed up 80s star.
- Remember denim doesn’t just mean jeans! Mix it up with a series of skirts, shorts, shoes, bags and playsuit overalls and enjoy double denim while it lasts
Have a look at the gallery bellow for some of the hottest denim pieces for this summer!